Author Topic: Privacy? In today's world?  (Read 22965 times)

Offline Chuck S

• Administrator
Privacy? In today's world?
« on: August 09, 2012, 04:58:05 PM »
In another thread one member brought up a concern about an ISP that actually looked at what sites a customer was viewing when she called to ask for a credit on her bill claiming she had no internet access.

The plain and simple fact is that in this modern world there is an expectation of privacy.  But the reality is there is little to none anymore. 

Every time you use a piece of technology someone somewhere is logging your actions and is most likely able to monitor most of them live as it happens.  When you surf the internet you leave tracks everywhere you go.  Not just on your own computer but on the network backbone and on every site you visit.  If you pick up a phone, any phone, every action is recorded.  If you use a credit or debit card each and every transaction is logged, even a simple balance inquiry.  And let's not forget that it is getting nearly impossible for you to walk around the block you live on without a camera somewhere recording you doing it.

This is the price of our modern world.  Maybe George Orwell was not so far off the mark?

Offline rambler

• Only the best teens are JambaTeens!
Re: Privacy? In today's world?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »
That and your line of work. Some or most companies monitor or block sites if they do let you surf the web at work. Truck drivers have to keep logs of where they're at and their companies electronically follow their trucks position etc....

The thing that really gets me. Some people will scream 'something' this or that violates their privacy. Yet turns around and tweets or updates their  facebook every other second..... leaving home now..... getting my haircut.... at Walmart and saw weird people.... I just ran a red light cause it wouldn't change in time..... I forgot to lock my front door.... :ohno:  ::)

lmprdks

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »

Offline alex1711

• TTB rocks!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »
I care about my privacy, and consider myself far from dumb on the issue. I just think a lot of people get far too worked up about it. I like to call them "conspiracy theorists."

Offline shepster

• Only the best teens are JambaTeens!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 09:52:14 PM »
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I know what Google knows about people.  While they "do no evil" now, that data is vast.  Most people overlook that they bought DoubleClick and got all of that tracking data, going back to the mid 90's.  Think how you would feel if a PI was trailing your every move for years and sold it to the government or someone else.   The biggest problem is how much data is collected, which never goes away, and how easy it is to access that data.  Data Mining is an art and companies like Google are experts at it. 

So now think about 5 years from now, someone else runs Google and has decided selling your info is profitable and not evil to them as it would increase shareholder value, so they do it.   Guess who the biggest customer of that data is, the US Government and politcal parties.  Legally the US governement can't track you to get it, but a nice loophole is they can buy it from companies like Google who have it and want to sell it.   

Granted the level of exploitation now is rather low compared to what it could be.  But once you give up a right to privacy, it will be so much harder to claw it back.   I just think people need to stop being passive as everything is taken away and then wonder why they lost it in the first place.

</rant>